Security Jobs in Iowa differ by location and job duties, but there are many roles available with all levels of training and education.
Iowa is located in the Midwestern region of the United States. Like other states in the Midwest, Iowa has a humid continental climate, meaning it experiences both extreme heat and extreme cold. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are also common throughout the state.
In July 2012, the population of Iowa was 3,074,186, according to the United States Census Bureau. That makes it the 30th most populous state out of the 50 states. The largest city in the state is Des Moines, which has a population of 206,688 (as of July 2012). Des Moines is a major center for the insurance industry. In 2011, Forbes magazine ranked Des Moines as the top city in America for young professionals.
Security Education and Financial Aid
There are a number of state-based scholarships and grants offered in Iowa:
- All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship – for students who do well in high school and demonstrate financial need. In order to qualify, students must be taking college classes within two academic years of high school graduation.
- Iowa Grant – for undergraduate students that attend Iowa colleges and universities. Priority is given to students whose parent was a public safety worker killed in the line of duty.
- Iowa Tuition Grant – for undergraduate students interested in attending an Iowa private college or university.
- Iowa Vocational-Technical Tuition Grant – for Iowa residents enrolled at community colleges in the state.
- Kibbie Grant (Iowa Skilled Workforce Shortage Tuition Grant) – for Iowa residents enrolled in specific programs at community colleges in the state.
More information on these and other Iowa scholarships and grants can be found at iowacollegeaid.gov.
Security Jobs and Career Outlook
In May 2021, some 5,550 security guards worked in Iowa. Additionally, the average annual salary is $37,100. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nationwide employment of security guards will grow 15 percent from 2020 to 2030.
|Location||Total Security Guard Employment||Average Salary|
|All of United States||1,057,100||$35,830|
Unarmed and Armed Security Guard Requirements in Missouri
Do you need a license to be a security guard in Missouri?