The “Live free or Die” motto of New Hampshire is a historical and accurate statement of the people who colonized the state. New Hampshire was the first colony on North America to break away from the British to begin the Revolutionary War. It is a New England state located in the northeast region of the USA. New Hampshire is bordered on the east by Maine and a small section of the Atlantic Ocean. Vermont is its western neighbor and Massachusetts is its southern neighbor. The 58 mile northern border with Canada has a major border crossing station between Chartierville, Quebec and Pittsburg, NH. Manchester is the largest city with a population of 110,000, but Concord is the capital.
Security Jobs Outlook in New Hampshire
New Hampshire’s international border with Canada requires U.S. Customs and Border Protection employees be positioned at its border stations. Extensive background checks are made on anyone applying to work for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as part of Homeland Security. CBP employs 20,000 border patrol agents.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) May 2012 report was released with statistics pointing out the 2,920 Police and Sheriff’s Officers employed in New Hampshire earn an annual median salary of $49,450. Security Guards earn $28,540 which is almost $5,000 above the national median. 2,520 With a salary of $40,150, Transportation Security Screeners earn about $4,500 above the national median wage of $36,850. An 18% increase for Security Guards and transportation Security Screeners is expected for the decade between 2010 and 2020. Police and Sheriff’s Officers is expected to increase by 7%.
Education and Scholarship Opportunities for Security Jobs in New Hampshire
If seeking a position as a police or sheriff officer it is advisable to earn credit beyond high school. For advancement in any career a post-secondary education will almost certainly be required. In addition to federal and state grants and student loans programs to help pay for post-secondary degrees, several regional and New Hampshire specific scholarship are available:
- The New England Regional Student Programs
- The New Hampshire Scholarships for Orphans of Veterans
- The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship Fund
- New Hampshire Food Industries Education Foundation Scholarships
- The National Black Police Association Alphonso Deal Scholarship Award
- American Criminal Justice Association National Student Paper Competition.
- The WIFLE Foundation (WIFLE) for gender equity within federal law enforcement.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Award
- Sheryl A. Horak Law Enforcement Explorer Memorial Scholarship