North Dakota (ND) is located in the north-central area of the United States on the border of Canada. They have the lowest unemployment rate in the United States, at three percent. The population of ND is 699,626. It is the fourth least densely populated state. The largest city is Fargo, although the capital is Bismarck.
North Dakota Geography
The “Geographic Center of the North American Continent” runs through the center of ND. Therefore, the western half of the state has the Great Plains with the Badlands to the north. The highest point is White Butte at 3,506 feet. The Theodore Roosevelt Park is also located in the Badlands. The central portion of the state is split between the Missouri Plateau and the Drift Prairie. The eastern area has the flat Red River Valley. Pembina Gorge is also a beautiful, popular recreation spot.
The eastern part of ND is the area of fertile soil that supports the agriculture industry. The natural beauty of the state supports the tourism industry.
North Dakota Jobs
North Dakota has enjoyed a large boon the oil industry in the western part of ND, which has also caused a population growth. Jobs are plentiful. The U.S. Air Force also has two bases located in ND.
Education in the Security Field
There are five colleges in ND offering degrees providing the requirements to secure a Homeland security position. The associate program provides a working knowledge of law enforcement courts, security and corrections.
There are also several colleges that offer a variety of degrees in security and criminal justice.
Minot State and the University of North Dakota offer the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Minor in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Ph.D. in Criminal Justice (this is a joint program with the University of North Dakota)
The North Dakota State Grant is available, along with several scholarships, in additional the FAFSA student aid program.
Security Jobs with Mean Annual Salaries
There are several types of security positions available including:
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers – Average salary $48,290
- First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives – $73,260
- Correctional Officers and Jailers – $34,530
- Police and Sherriff’s Patrol Officers – $48,400
- Detectives and criminal Investigators – $71,340
- Security Guards – $27,690